Thursday, September 25, 2008

Postal Presents



FLAT PACK HAT
Designed for young career women, the flat pack hat can be safely packaged within a women's handbag, briefcase or by hand. Constructed of EVA foam and cotton, the hat is durable, breathable, washable, environmentally friendly, and wont loose its form after repetitive use.
This product was the result of a long learning design process whereby I evolved from paper materials and tyvek, to synthetic materials, foam and fabric. The concept of the design was to try and create an interesting hat for women, that was slick, feminine, and flat. More so, after conducting market research I discovered that there were not many cap hats for women, therefore I wanted to make a stylish and suitable hat for the workforce.

4 comments:

Joshua Cope-Summerfield said...

The target market chosen is very suitable, as they will respond positively to your idea. A hat that can be easily concealed in the handbag is great.

Eva foam will easily manipulate to the shape of the head, making your hat easy and comfortable to wear.

The pattern however, does not appear very feminine. Maybe it could be available to both sexes, e.g. for a boys backpack? I think a more feminine choice of colours, not just the cliché pink, but purples etc (I like the way that you have avoided the use of pink). Also maybe a variety of hats could be available.

However, overall a great idea and you have captured the essence of a flat-pack hat, which appears comfortable and easy to wear and put away. If I was a girl, I’d get one!

Christopher Hui said...

The target market is great because not many women wear hats because women are always concern about the way they look and fashion trends and they just think hats don't look good on them because it may ruin their hairstyle etc.

The pattern is kinda acceptable for a woman to wear but the colors weren't really that convincing for a woman to buy this hat. If the colours were like baby blue or any other bright or light colour would have the consumer acknowledging this hat is for women.

Overall good idea. I like the fact that it is setting a fashion trend for women to wear hats and its convenience how it can easily put into the handbag.

Alfred said...

I think this was a very interesting project, many people looked at storage solutions for their models, but you explored the concepts of a flat pack hat. However, at first sight and from pictures only, it would appear to look like a typical baseball cap -- being a generic unisex shape. Even though it was shown in your research and you aimed to create a cap targeted at women.. it would also be nice to have a variety of caps. Perhaps you could explore the various different types of hats out there and could home into other types of hats?

The choice of materials was good, EVA foam and cotton are both breathable materials and quite malleable so it would conform to the user's head. And the compact size makes storage simple, and can easily fit into a small handbag or even a purse.

The overall message I get from the hat is that it is stylish (the pattern is questionable, maybe some vibrant colours?) and compact; which makes it a good solution to the problem.

Saba Zare said...

The target Market was carefully chosen. You designed to suit it and i believe that your outcome was a real step forward my only issue with it was that when it was placed on the it did not entirely "fit" but once that is overcome i think that it is a marketable item for an organisation possibly the cancer council or local,state or federal government...
Good Work!