
http://www.vimeo.com/6944872
Industrial design reality TV series ‘Design for Life’ starring Philippe Starck was the most entertaining reality TV shows I’ve seen in years. It’s not surprising the 6-episode series became additive.
Philippe Starck. Wow. That was not at all how I expected him. His somewhat attention seeking humor (loud bell sounds that reminded my of a WW2 raid) and confident French charisma was expected; but his lack of patience to understand concepts and give constructive criticism or direction in the learning environment really frustrated me. It was not surprising that many of the students soon realized that they might not even be able to work with him. It was all very revealing… But to be quite honest it was very brave of Starck to present himself in such a public environment; I don’t think many designers could do that or was it just a publicity stunt?
What I really enjoyed about this show was watching how other design students formulate and realize ideas. Overall the series has made me feel more confident in the design process and motivational.
Starck’s main design philosophy is to design ‘Products that are useful and sustainable – help humanity/the tribe achieve its potential’. This surprised me as many of Starck previous designs that I have seen have be more objects of desire and beauty rather than sustainability. Nevertheless I like his design ethic. This philosophy was demonstrated in the students main design project to meet the following requirements:
-Ecological – consideration for end of life
-Democratic - universal design
-Ethical – meeting the needs of people
It was a broad brief; but I think the students did well to anchor a certain demographic to design for. Starcks’s philosophical approach to design is fundamental in designing products that people need; rather then I quote Starck “pointless products that don’t deserve to exist”. There are too many unnecessary products out there and I wish a TV series like this could to be invented to scrutinize each one before they were manufactured.
The design process of students was insightful. I really liked how they ‘immersed themselves in the people they were designing for + to understand their needs’. I wish I had more confidence and the drive ‘go out and get there’ and talk to people I was designing my product for. Mikes experience; dining in a restaurant run by the blind; was amazing… Paris has everything. It’s this passion and thirst for knowledge that really inspired me and is one of the many things I hope to improve for my own design process.
The presentation of ideas… they got burned too! Starke teaches how important is to have ‘a good pitch’ when presenting to a client. Exemplified by the student involvement in a circus to gain confidence.
How important it is to be technical; and know how your product works was highlighted a lot by Starck. In my own experience, through the duration of this course; ive realized how important this is. “Design is something that can be done – not just developing dreams”, therefore designers need to design something that can be made.
Starck’s teaching:
make it simple, draw inspiration from nature, evolve, and work … work… work…
has defiantly left an imprint on my design process.
No comments:
Post a Comment